Moving can mean many things. For me, it used to mean packing up a single bedroom and bathroom and possibly changing roommates. Oh how naïve I was in thinking those moves were difficult.
Now that I’m married, packing means packing. Ya know what I’m sayin? The kind of packing that involves an entire house, including the home office and a lot of awesome wedding presents that we didn’t have when we originally moved in. That kind of packing brings the pain.
My friends, the packing kind of packing sucks.
13 signs that packing sucks:
1. When your house is clean, you look around and tell yourself, “Wow self, we don’t have that much stuff to move. We are minimalist. Hoorah!” You laugh an evil laugh and pat yourself on the back. Then you open up a kitchen cabinet and realize you have to pack all that crap too.
2. We’re gonna need more boxes. Damn.
3. When you rarely open up the closets in your husband’s home office, then you decide to open them and an avalanche of crap rains down upon you. Have to pack that crap too.
4. We’re gonna need more boxes. Damn.
5. When you own 4,783 different pairs of shoes that you cannot, will not, and must not part with, but have absolutely no idea how they will be transported or where they will reside at your new residence.
6. When you decide it’s a good idea to go through some stuff before you pack it up, just to see if you can throw some stuff away. Five hours later you’re still on the floor, now in tears, going through you senior memories book. Must.keep.all the things.
7. No I’m not a pack rat. Why do you ask?
8. When you realize you’re a pack rat and not the minimalist that you were once so proud to be. I hate myself.
9. When you realize that you should have listened to your husband when he said, “Why don’t we just get the movers to pack us too?” Note to self – listen to husband more. Damn.
10. When you realize you’re somewhat of a control freak and that is indeed why you didn’t want the movers packing your house up.
11. When the scary travel monster rears her hideously grotesque head 14 days before moving day. Chill out, freak!
12. When you wake up in the morning and stub your toe on the box that wasn’t there yesterday morning, but it’s there now, and you come to the realization that you have more packing to do. All before the first cup of coffee. Cannot.cope.without.coffee.
13. When you had no idea that that many expletives could be said before your morning cup of coffee.