This month’s Anti-Boredom Project is all about cupcakes. There are so many things to celebrate this month (my best friend birthday, my Mom’s graduation), and there’s no better way to celebrate than with cupcakes. OK cookies work too. I was also given an awesome gluten-free cupcake recipe book and I can’t wait to try out some of the recipes.
First up this month is RecipeGirl’s White Wedding Cake Cupcake recipe. For the icing I used a cream cheese icing recipe.
Before I talk about what I did and didn’t like about this recipe, I have to tell you about the few human errors that were made. I’m not pointing any fingers, but I was the only one in the kitchen at the time (and I’m also the only one who goes to the grocery store), so the errors must go next to my name.
If you check out the recipe, you’ll notice that it calls for vegetable or canola oil. I realized halfway through the mixing process that I was missing both. I used walnut oil as a replacement. I’m not sure that it made that much of a difference. What did make a difference, however, was my inability to read through to the end of the ingredient list. Please note it says 4 large egg whites. Not 4 large eggs. This will make a difference. Not reading the entire recipe before starting it seems to be a recurring problem of mine. Please schedule an intervention.
5 things I like about making these
- This is probably THE best white cupcake recipe I’ve ever made. I told Jared we have to have another wedding so I would have another excuse to make these.
- Pretty easy.
- Did I mention these are delicious?
- Despite my double fail (see above) they still turned out well. I love any recipe that is forgiving.
- I will be the most popular person at the office tomorrow because I’m taking these to my co-workers.
5 things I didn’t like about making these
- I instantly hated myself when I realized the recipe called for egg whites and not whole eggs.
- Makes a lot of cupcakes. 36 to be exact. But on second thought if you’re actually making these for a wedding, that’s a really good thing. Well, if you’re having a big wedding. Oh never mind.
- Can I please eat them all? Yes, all 36. I would like to eat them all.
- These aren’t gluten free, so I can’t depend on Jared to save me from myself. Damn. Who wants some cupcakes?
- Once again realizing I have no self control. Please send help.
Can we all take a moment to appreciate the fact that my new kitchen has awesome lighting?